Sign in to follow this  
BT1_BOY

E36 M3

ive been looking closly at buying a M3 e36... as they are quie reasonably proced these days..

could people with the know please shed some light on the issue, just wat u think about them, and why i should get one and why i shouldnt.

Now b4 u all go on a rant about SMG, il will not touch one with the SMG gear box... BMW knew it was that bad that the Manual was actually a 2k option back then.. even for the e46 lol..

i live buy the rule that if its M u cant go wrong, but if heard a few stories about older sports cars not being woth the buy as they lose the power and parts are v.expensive

so wat the verdict people.. e36 M3 GOD or DOG??

also it had got a str8 6 3.2L engine, dosnt it??

thanks

-Peter

Early models ('93-'95) are 3ltr 210kw/320nm whereas '96 onward are 3.2ltr 236kw/350nm (open to corrections). According to the site listed below, the 96+ models have a fair amount of improvements over earlier editions including VANOS, better brakes, suspension, diff, 6spd trans etc.

http://www.motortraders.net/groups/group.a...p=4&menu=29

Apparently the overhaul on the SMG is awesomely expensive and you'd be wise to avoid them.

Checkout some of the Teckademics films (including Gumball Rally) where Dado and the gang drive a Dakar yellow e36 M3.

I think it's a tough choice between an e36 M3 and an e46 325i and honestly don't know what I'd choose.

thanks for clearing up the engine specs...

ill have a look at the film and the site

ive been looking closly at buying a M3 e36... as they are quie reasonably proced these days..

could people with the know please shed some light on the issue, just wat u think about them, and why i should get one and why i shouldnt.

Now b4 u all go on a rant about SMG, il will not touch one with the SMG gear box... BMW knew it was that bad that the Manual was actually a 2k option back then.. even for the e46 lol..

i live buy the rule that if its M u cant go wrong, but if heard a few stories about older sports cars not being woth the buy as they lose the power and parts are v.expensive

so wat the verdict people.. e36 M3 GOD or DOG??

also it had got a str8 6 3.2L engine, dosnt it??

thanks

-Peter

They had probs with the SMG in the E36, stick with the manual like you said. They fixed it in SMG2 thats in the e46. If it was e46, something along the lines or 90% were sold in SMG, that was the reverse story for the e36.

Nice cars, just be prepared/budget for maintenance costs.

A mate has a 94 M3 with 200k on the clock and its still very, very healthy. I have always wanted a estoril blue one with the white leather interior!!

i want it exactly like this!!!

e36csl.jpg

GOD! Ive driven heaps and would give my left nut for one!

go to Eurocca.net and check out some of the E36 M3's on there. Some quickones and people who know BMW's.

thumb.gif E36's and E46's M3 have the best shape and looks. That blue M3 looks sick, so clean!!!!!

E36 M3 is just class. I love them, they won PCOTY 3 or 4 years straight.

Regarded by many as they best ever made.

How much they goin for these days?

sad thing is that these days it's starting to become the new civic with so many raped examples in the US. very few long term owners left.